“I gotta go…;)” Restroom Management
As a sub, dealing with restroom breaks is always somewhat of a challenge no matter the day, routine, or procedure 🙁
Getting a feel for how different teachers handle the situation gives me great insight into what I might want to do in my classroom one day.
Here are a couple methods that I have seen. I’ll give you the pros and cons along with grade level.
Keep in mind some of these are just additional as classes still take breaks together (more frequently in younger grades)
– doesn’t take away class time.
– if accompanied with pass, you can see how many students are out
– can even use in small groups when the littlest students would often want to ask!
– easy and costs nothing to implement
– could use more signals for drink, question, etc… and easy for students to remember
-not everyone coming into your classroom would know what was going on
– establish rules for how many people can be gone at one time
– no visual reminder of how long someone is actually in the bathroom
– this keeps everyone from leaving and following one another to the hall, which is a huge deal in the younger grades!!!
-easy to keep track of who is gone at what time
– it’s cute and students want to use it
– you do have to buy or donate an animal
– have to set up routines/procedures to make sure students know when this is acceptable.
– this is EASILY abused but can work if limitations are established.
– no paper system to keep track of
– some have magnets and they leave them by the door so you know who is gone at any moment.
– popular and anyone coming into class would know what is going on.
– can be abused or people could keep passes and reuse.
– losing passes is ALWAYS a concern 🙁
-passes need to be replaced or some students need limitations on use.
I would LOVE to hear how you deal with this in your classroom!!
Slime is ALL. THE . RAGE and rightfully so – I mean even as an…
Are you looking for a way engage students in content?! Why not let them be…
Many of you have asked about my Nonfiction Video Game Level Up day – all…
This year I knew I wanted to start focused morning meetings with my students. Once…
How to have the best first day and set the tone for the rest of…
😍😄😎 EMOJI INTRO 🤓🤑🤔 Just posted and ON SALE – so excited to use this…
Before moving to the older grades I was petrified of teaching electricity and circuits because…
A listening center is crucial for any reading block. Starting out teaching I felt…
Well today’s the day….Meet the Teacher and we start on Thursday. I’m so glad to…
I’m so excited to do an official classroom reveal! Last year I was on a…